Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The next big thing

Hey everybody - its been awhile!  I've been keeping busy the last 7 months - still exercising a lot and going to my aphasia class in Albany.

But the biggest, most exciting thing is I'm starting up my own woodworking business!

I've been meeting with a voc rehab counselor for several months who has been helping me figure out how I can get back to work in some capacity.  We explored lots of options, but it made me realize that forestry doesn't work for me anymore - there is too much thinking, writing, and communication involved - processing it all is too overwhelming. Nor am I physically able to do landscaping or tree climbing anymore.  While thinking about skills I have retained and what type of work I am able to do, we figured out that a woodworking shop is the perfect thing for me.  I have made several one-handed things as I have needed them since my accident, including one-handed card holders, that I want to make available to other people struggling like me.  Having made a few cardholders for friends in my aphasia group, someone mentioned that I should be selling them . . . and thus Northend Woodworking was born.  I plan on making one-handed bookholders & cutting boards soon, too, as well as Shaker-style furniture (like the table previously pictured on October 15, 2012). Simple & elegant - my kind of thing.

My counselor helped me write a return-to-work plan that is in process of approval and just waiting for one more signature.  Since I just received the okay, it will be awhile before everything is up and running, but soon I will have a website, business cards, etc. to share. 

I know that this is just part time for now while I am still recovering, attending my aphasia classes and in need of a lot of down time, but it is such a great feeling to have something that is mine again.  Something that gives structure to my days, helps me value my time and gives me a glimpse of my old self.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Matt!! This is such exciting news - and we're so excited to see your shop next weekend!
    Becky & Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful, Matt. Simple and elegant is exactly YOU!! And the card holder looks like it fits that description exactly. It's beautiful. We're so happy you have identified work that gives you happiness, hope and a mission!! Hi to precious Kerri!!

    Love you lots,
    Aunt Penny and Uncle Doug

    ReplyDelete