Friday, April 23, 2010

Cheers!

I cannot believe it's Friday already - our first week at home as flown by and I've only posted once! Matt's going to PT three times a week and we'll add speech and OT therapies next week. With outpatient therapy, they'll be giving him a lot of homework to do, so he's going to be busy!

Matt had a CT scan on Tuesday and we met with his surgeon for what appears to be the last time. He was completely amazed with Matt's progress so far and said that most of the recovery happens within the first year, so Matt still has 7 months to gain back more function. He said it also takes about a year for the bone to grow back together completely so Matt should avoid any blows to the head for at least a year (and hopefully for the rest of his life!). And then as we were getting ready to leave, Matt got the best news - he leaned over to me and stage whispered "beer" - and his surgeon laughed and said don't tie one on, but you can have an occasional beer. So raise your glasses to recovery!

6 comments:

  1. From the Parents-
    Keri, you have no idea how good it is to read something like this! Great way to start the day. Keep up the great work-both of you.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri,

    It's been so amazing to read about Matt's progress over recent months. I have been so impressed by both his and your strength during this ordeal. It's wonderful to think of you at home now. I'm so glad that you continue to get more good news each week.

    I know that cement pad well :)!

    When can I come visit? Can I bring you dinner? I've got some elk meat that I bet Matt would enjoy. And a beer?!

    Be in touch if you can-- 246-7228 or sarahrosow@hotmail.com .

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHEERS is RIGHT!!! Wahoo! Toasting you and Matt tonight. Give us a call when you get a chance. We miss you!...The girls do too. They're still talking about our visit with you.
    love
    Megan & Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. That a boy! Mark, Brandy, and the Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well cheers to you both and have a good beer to celebrate!!!
    Nick and Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My glass (or should I say my bottle) of beer is
    so high I may need a straw. Ha!
    So good to hear the 1st week home was wonderful
    for you both. Keep up the great work Matt!

    Love, Aunt Elaine & Uncle Kenneth

    ReplyDelete