Friday, August 20, 2010

Acer saccharum

I went along with Matt on his daily walk today and he was pointing out trees and trying to name things the whole way. He was even up for a little Latin - nothing he was even slightly interested in before. He wanted to show me all the sugar maples that he would add to the sap lines someday. Once we got back we spent a bunch of time with his tree guides looking up more Latin names. He said that names are on the tip of his tongue and after I told him, yes, but they're coming back, he replied, "But I want them now." We were out walking for over an hour and I'm amazed by his strength and stamina - I had no idea that was how far he walks every day.

We're going to see a neuromuscular massage therapist this afternoon to see if a different approach to his arm might start things moving. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Good news on progress in strength, movement and speech--each step forward earned with what have turned out to be two deep wells of energy and determination. I know you have hard days and that you get tired and anxious. We are thinking of you during good days and bad and so grateful for the rewards for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete