Monday, October 15, 2012

Welcome Back!

Hey, it is Matt and it has been awhile.  I am taking over the blog - Keri is going to help me write, but I am going to be posting from now on.

Here's an update of what I've been doing:
1.  Bioness.  I have this great new estim machine for my leg and it is a miracle worker.  I wear a cuff around my leg just under my knee that is connected to a sensor in my shoe.  When I take a step, it turns on and helps pick up my toes.  Then when I step down, it turns off and my toes drop.   I wear it all the time and it has made walking so much easier.  It is helping my leg muscles to remember how to walk properly. It does the same thing that my brace used to, but is helping me rewire my brain by using electric signals.  My goal is to get rid of this machine just like I got rid of my cane & my brace.  It is a long ways off and a slow process, but that is what I am working towards.

2.  Aphasia Group.  My therapy sessions were great, but I needed a break.  Two and a half years of my life have been spent in therapy and I am doing so much exercising at home, it was time.  But my speech has been difficult and so slow to proceed on my own.  My speech therapist helped me find a group that meets weekly at a local college - and every single person in the group has aphasia or some other language disorder just like me. It has been a miracle to find this group and work with these people.  We have discussions and help each other figure out how to communicate better.  We get some support from the leaders of the group, who are all studying speech pathology, but mostly it is us helping each other.  I have personally noticed much improvement since I've been going to this group - I use many more complete sentences and find it easier to follow conversations around me.  Another miracle worker!

3.  Woodshop.  I spend so much time exercising, using my estim machines, and walking, but I needed something else to fill extra time besides TV - how boring!  The farm where we live has a woodshop and there was room for all my tools - and luckily room for lots more.  I've been finding adaptive tools and tricks so that I can safely build projects one-handed.  After collecting many, many clamps and creating lots of jigs, I've got a few things built.  It only took me 6 months, but here is my first table!

Shaker Side Table


4.  Last but not least, thank you all for everything.  It has been almost 3 years since my accident and I still have a long, long ways to go.  This all takes time and patience and I will get there, someday.  It might be one week, one year, one decade.  Who knows.  But I couldn't haven't gotten this far without your help. 

Thank you!
Matt

10 comments:

  1. Hey Matt!!!! GREAT to see how well you are doing!!!! Definitely going to show that table off to Travis and my construction class!! You are truly and inspiration and I thank God that He spared your life! May you continue to heal and through the aphasia group be a light shining to others in their darkness. LOVE YOU!!!!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    So proud of you and your table is gorgeous!!! Miss you like crazy, but I'm holding down good ol' Fairfax for you ;) Thinking and praying about you daily--love and kisses to you and Keri!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,
    How thrilling to see you take over this blog....you've come a long ways, baby!! We continue to be so proud of both you and Keri. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing you all "in the flesh" in December.
    Much love,
    Aunt Barb and Uncle Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt! I am so glad that I checked the "Matt Update" - our son Ryan (who is now 8 1/2) was asking recently how you are doing. I'll have Rich take a look at your blog and the beautiful table you made - he'll be glad to hear how well you are doing. Take care and say hi to Keri for us! ~Jen Winegar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Matt & Keri!

    I'm so glad to see that you guys entered a new posting. I often think of you guys and wonder about how things are going in NY! Matt, keep up the positive attitude and the good work. You'll get there! The table is gorgeous... And a clear sign that things are looking up. That would've taken me alot longer than 6 months to make (and it probably wouldn't stand up).

    Keep smiling! And practicing the scientific names of those trees out there...

    Melissa Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too check your blog and was so excited to see you are back on! First of all I love the table, you did a great job! 2nd it sounds like you are doing awesome in which I have always believed in you as I know you will never give up on yourself not the Matt I've always known! 3rd I so miss you two, wish you all lived closer to home, think about you both alot! 4th Amber & Rob have a surprise you should really give them a call! Keep up the good work Matt miss you, love you both and waiting patiently for your next blog! Love to ya both, Momma Cindy in Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt...haven't checked the blog in awhile, so happy to read your message. I think of you and Kerri often and i've been wondering about your move and how life's been going. You look great sound healthy and i love that table, beautiful! If ever you two come up this way, plz. stop by, i'll even find a 'cajun' recipe to make, but it will never be as delightful as yours. Hope you're still making your 'chicken gumbo', i think that's what it was, whatever..delicious, i can almost taste it as i write!!! I enjoyed my chair and table all summer, the 'great cedar tree' provided comfort and love. Stay well and my love to you, Kerri and Freddyboy. Pat Foley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Matt and Keri--It was wonderful to read all of this news. And my goodness. Linda told us Matt had been in the workshop but WOW. What a beautiful thing. We hope to see you in 2013!
    Love from us both,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was really great to read your progress and to hear and see the things you've accomplished lately is amazing!! That table looks beautiful-give your best to all the Bolluyts out there from Mark, Rebecca AJ and Isabella! We miss you guys and hope you have a wonderful Holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, that is an absolutely gorgeous table! It's nice to hear how everything is going. You have made so much amazing progress. Huge hug and much love, MissWhit (Seth says hi too!)

    ReplyDelete