Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesday

I've found it harder to write recently as there are fewer milestones for Matt to reach. We know he's getting better and especially building endurance, but he's really struggling with how slow things seem to be going. He's ready to have his surgery and reminded me today that it's 3 weeks away. I wasn't sure he understood the concept of time yet, so it was amazing to hear that.

We've made a book for speech therapy that is really helping with his communication. I wasn't sure how much he would like it, but he seems to understand its usefulness. There are pages of 15 words that cover everything from pain & medicine to foods/drinks to feelings to names of people he wants to recall. He keeps joking that its going to be 3 inches thick before we have everything covered. This week we've added an Olympics page and we spend his therapy time talking about what we watched the night before. He keeps the book in his chair and pulls it out whenever he gets stuck on a word he's trying to tell us. And just like when he used to point at numbers, he'll point at the word he wants even if he's saying a different word.

4 comments:

  1. Keri,
    Do not feel bad about having fewer posts as we know it means Matt is improving i.e. no new is good news! Don't get me wrong I(and KC in excile in England)do look every day but are happy to know you are developing new routines. I would like to point out however I have learned a lot about head injuries and recovery from your postings like tonight's comments on Matt's "book". KC would call this the "educational component" of your blogs. This really helps me to understand your daily routines. Thinking of you both, Love Don and KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri - just want you to know that we are still following your blog and praying for you and Matt. So happy to hear of his progress! How are YOU doing? Is there anything you need? We'd be happy to send a care package!
    Take care,
    Jen & Rich Winegar

    ReplyDelete
  3. keri,
    so good to see you this weekend! I'm sure the patience must be hard for both of you, but there is so much progress that no one can see happening all the time. You are both incredible...
    love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keri and Matt,

    I just wanted to let you know that I am following Matt's progress and really appreciate your blog. I have you all in my thoughts and send my best wishes always.

    Thinking of you,
    Amy Dunfee (a 4Seasons friend)

    ReplyDelete