Friday, January 29, 2010

A few good reads

Things are going well today - Matt's still cruising with the quad cane and going further every time. His right hand is starting to bother him in therapy, which is a good sign, I guess. That's how his leg started, too. He's also moving his right shoulder during exercises more than I've seen before.

A few people have asked if we've found any good books to read about brain injury and such and even though I have a hard time concentrating on reading, I have read a few. So if you're interested, I would recommend:

'My stroke of insight' by Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor - Dr. Taylor's stroke was in the left hemisphere of her brain and she discusses some of the same issues Matt has had. Plus, its a good read for inspiration about the spiritual and 'positive' sides of brain injuries.

'In an Instant' by Lee and Bob Woodruff - Bob Woodruff was a reporter imbedded with a unit in Iraq when he suffered a TBI from a roadside bomb. I haven't read this yet, but it is traveling around my family and my sister really recommends it.

'Mindstorms' by Dr. John W. Cassidy - I'm in the middle of this book, but so far its a good informational read about the basics of brain injury and treatments.

'The brain that changes itself' by Dr. Norman Doige - I also haven't read this one, but it comes highly recommended from other families here at rehab. Its about the plasticity of the brain and how much it can relearn after an injury.

5 comments:

  1. Keri,
    Go Matt!!
    I was looking at the Vermont Brain Injury Association website and they have a survival guide on line that had some good information. the web address for the guide is: http://www.tbiguide.com/
    Jean-Paul is actually leaving this afternoon. His meeting was changed to a day earlier so he is leaving today. I will call you this afternoon when I get home. Love, Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a book called "Head Cases". it's written by a brain injury case worker and documents several people their injuries and rehab. It was a nice intro to TBI, but it had a little more gloom compared to inspiration, I'd recommend trying another one before this one.

    Keep it up Matt,Keri,Linda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you reminded us about news reporter who was injured because I remember that his injury was a serious one and he has done well. It is always good to read your good news--though I do wonder about the difficult times you keep mostly to yourself. I know you have good family support and hope you can feel a bit of all the love and hope going your direction.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Matt! Glad to read all the good news. Keri, thanks for keeping the blog updated. I hope the trip to DMHC goes well. -ErikK

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Anat Baniel Method is an excellent method that creates new patterns in the brain. She does a lot of work with special needs kids, and also adults with brain trauma. Anat Baniel is currently collaborating with Michael Merzenich, from UCSF and a leading scientist in the neuroscience of brain plasticity. www.anatbanielmethod.com

    ReplyDelete