Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday evening

Monday's therapies went really well - Matt stood on his own for about 10 minutes in PT. He started today with more math in speech and it wiped him out for most of the day. His therapist wrote down the numbers 1-10 and gave Matt addition problems to complete in his head. It was fascinating to watch him point to the correct answers, but say the wrong number out loud. He keeps getting caught on certain words and repeats them for everything. For math problems, he always says '10'. For everything else he wants to tell us, its 'global positioning system' or 'too much TV'.


I try to always ask him if he wants me to come along to his therapy sessions, and this week is the first time he's ever said no. He's on his way to becoming more independant - he's learned how to transfer in/out of his wheelchair without any assistance. I stand by just in case, but he pretty much doesn't need help anymore.

This afternoon his OT handed him the brace he wears on his right leg and told Matt to put it on. I was trying to figure out how he was going to pick up his right leg, move the foot rest, hold onto the brace, and put it around his leg all with one hand. Meanwhile, Matt looked at it and figured it all out. Motor planning is not an issue.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the updates, Keri! I am glad Matt is improving and so rapidly! The first bit reminds me of my own experience with dyslexia as a kid - it's hard to get the right words to come out! He'll get it. All my love to you both - Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope today's appointment went well. I will give you a call again tomorrow. Thinking of you and Matt,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri! It's Nicole. I just heard about everything the other day when I saw Becky, and have begun to read the blog. You two are amazing!!! You both have been in my thoughts and prayers daily. I am so glad you have such a supportive community, and that Matt has you. You are brave and committed and a wonderful loving person. I am so happy to see Matt's rapid improvements. Sending you love and light and hugs and smiles! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete