Friday, December 11, 2009

Decision day

Its hard to believe all that has happened in three weeks - it seems like a million years ago that he had his first day in the ICU. I was told this morning that Matt was medically stable and ready to transfer to rehab today! Every time that Matt has been moved or needed something on a Friday afternoon it has been a complete mess and then he gets lost in the weekend shuffle, so I asked to wait to transfer him until Monday. That gave me until this afternoon to decide where he would go from here. There were so many different reasons to go to each of the various places we visited, but I think that he's going to go to Crotched Mountain in Greenfield, NH. We have to wait until Monday for confirmation, but I'll let you know once we know his new address!

We had several 'conversations' today about going to rehab. Matt isn't sure that he wants to leave because he likes it here. He seems very concerned that he'll be in a different place and no one will be there with him. Once my sister told him that I would be going with him, he seemed better. But then later, he wanted to make sure that everyone is coming with him and that he'll still get to see friends. (No pressure, anyone, but I did tell him he would. :-) We discussed several times what day it is now and what days he has left here. He seems to understand that tomorrow is Saturday and then its Sunday after that and we'll leave the day after Sunday. I can't wait to get him out of this room and onto rehab!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Keri,

    It's great to hear that Matt's making so much progress every day. I love that he's telling jokes.

    This is random, but I've actually heard good things about Crotched Mountain. I've met a few people who work there, and they say that it's a great community and a beautiful place.

    I'm thinking of you and Matt all the time, and sending prayers and warm wishes your way. And I'm excited to have you in the Brattleboro area!

    Big hugs.
    Be well,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri,

    It sounds like a great place. I am sure they will take good care of Matt there, and it will be close to the farm. Kat and I are thinking of coming down on Sunday to see you guys, let me know if that doesn't work or if you need anything. See you soon.

    Love Aly and Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri,
    I'm sure it seems a lifetime ago--before the accident. Make sure that you take care of yourself through all of this. We all knew that you were "a keeper" when Matt brought you home and your strength and character is shining through brightly! Matt is gathering so much of his strength from you too. We are happy that Matt is ready for the next phase in his recovery. God bless you both and the families and friends that are with you at his bedside.
    We love you,
    Aunt Barb and Uncle Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keri:

    It's Sally Cashen writing, Tony and Gail Cashen's daughter. My Dad gave me this website address when I asked how things were going for Matt. Just wanted to let you know that we too are thinking of you all and wishing Matt a continued speedy recovery. What an ordeal you've been through -- and how wonderful to be able to transition to rehab. We wish you lots of strength for the days ahead. We'll hold you, Matt and your family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete