Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What day is it?

Sorry I forgot to post yesterday - I'm loosing track of the days and when I write. Matt is looking pretty healed on the outside and its so hard to see him still heavily sedated and intubated. I finally got to talk to a neurosurgeon today and they said he still has a lot of swelling in his brain and he's just going to need more time. They're also thinking his pneumonia is slowing the healing because his body is fighting that right now.

Tomorrow he'll get a tracheostomy and a feeding line directly into his stomach so that they can take all the tubes out of his mouth. That way, he can stay on the ventilator, but they'll be able to wean him off both that and the sedation more quickly. When the sedation was turned down last night he had both his eyes open and was following people around a little and seemed like Matt, so the sooner they can keep him more awake the better. Eventually, he should be able to talk with the trach, too, depending on the swelling/damage in his brain.

Continued thanks for the love & thoughts - he seems to be past the most dangerous time, I hope, and now its just waiting, which has been easier because of all your support.


5 comments:

  1. I think its Tuesday! Good to hear he's looking around. Bethany and I are thinking of you both everyday, and we will see you soon.
    -Jon and Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri, Thank you so much for the updates. They help me further understand Matt's current condition and the many steps he needs to take along the road to recovery. It also helps us to "hear" your thoughts during both your good and bad days. Yes we will all need to learn to have more patience during this ordeal, but stating the obvious, Matt is so lucky to have you in his corner. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great News! I talked to Bill last evening & he
    seemed a little better. He said Matt is getting
    there but time will tell. I am sure the waiting
    is horrific and all of us can't understand how
    bad it is for you because we can't be there.
    Matt is a strong young man and he has Latiolais
    blood (ha ha) so he will fight to get back to you. You are strong and we are all so glad that
    he has you to help him fight. Our prayers &
    thoughts are with you both every day.
    Love Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keri,
    Not sure if you got my post yesterday. I didn't really know where to put it so I added it to your contact info post. Anyway, the offer still stands - chocloate cake deliveries included :).
    I will be leaving Brattleboro around noon. You can either email me or call me on my cell (802-376-6263) if you need anything. Take care!

    Deb Satterfield

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again Keri-- with you here in Burlington. Let me know if there's anything you need up this way, okay?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete